AM I AT RISK FOR HEART DISEASE?
Sedentary lifestyle is a major cause of death, disease and disability. Physical inactivity increases all causes of mortality, doubles the risk of cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes and obesity. It also increases the risk of colon and breast cancer, high blood pressure, lipid disorders and anxiety.
- Current projections suggest that India will have the largest cardiovascular disease burden in the world.
- One fifth of the deaths in India are from coronary heart disease. By the year 2020, it will account for one third of all deaths. Sadly, many of these Indians will be dying young.
- Heart disease in India occurs 10 to 15 years earlier than in the west.
- There are an estimated 45 million patients of coronary artery disease in India. An increasing number of young Indians are falling prey to coronary artery disease. With millions hooked to a roller-coaster lifestyle, the future looks even grimmer.
- There appears to be a steady increase in hypertension prevalence over the last 50 years, more in urban than in rural areas. Hypertension is 25-30% in urban and 10-15% in rural subjects
The tests included in the profile are as follows:
- Glucose F
- Lipid Profile
- Lipoprotein (a)